Funlayo Deri Dress Designer Interviews & collection 2011-12

Funlayo Deri is very about her passion in life, figures of inspiration and the aim of her exciting new brand. Her label is altogether a mixture of femininity, elegance and quality with an alluring finish. It celebrates the female form and emphasises a woman’s curves with it’s fine detailing and beautiful cuts. As well as having a timeless quality each piece is fashioned with an individual twist that will guarantee attention. Not only was Funmilayo a true pleasure to meet, her collection left TheStyleColumn eagerly awaiting more.
Newluk – You were born in Nigeria but now live between Budapest and London, how did your upbringing influence you and how does your current location inspire your design?
FD – When you look at fashion in Africa there are so many contemporary outfits made with prints and colour as well as cultural outfits based on tribes and the diversity of African. I also look at the silhouettes there and translate them into a western style. Budapest inspires me as it is rich in culture and my SS12 collection is based on its architecture. Music, film and museums can also inspire me.
Newluk – Would you say your Nigerian upbringing played a part in you becoming a designer?
FD – Yes its always been in my family. My grandmother was a designer and I used to make clothes with my mum for a long time. Designing was just a hobby but then I decided to make it happen for me full time. It was quite a big change as I was initially in banking but it came in useful in its own way as design has a major financial element to it.
Newluk – What made you want to leave banking and do fashion? That’s quite a big change?
FD – I got to a reflective point in life and thought that I wanted to do something that I have a passion for. I wanted to enjoy what I did.
FD – In secondary school but I followed the traditional path of university etc. Then I decided I could use my educational skills to my advantage and make fashion work alongside them.
Newluk – Where do you source your materials from? What materials have you used for your SS12 collection?
FD – London, Spain and Europe. Materials are really important to me as I’m very particular about what I use so I source out the perfect material for each design.
Newluk – Who is your market aimed at? What type of woman do you want wearing your clothes?
FD – A woman who loves fashion, who is confident and not afraid to standout. Someone who is so stylishly captivating that when she walks into a room everyone looks at her.
Newluk – You launched Funlayo Deri in March 2011, how has your journey been so far?
FD – It’s been exciting and challenging, its so much hard work but I love it so it doesn’t feel like work. Sometimes I don’t get any sleep but the end result is worth it. I look back at my AW11 collection and just think WOW! I did that. I mean, there’s so much to it – you sketch, you cut out patterns and to see it all come together as a product. It’s an amazing feeling and even more so when you see others react in the same way when they wear your clothes.
FD – I’m inspired by the big brands like Gucci and Louis Vuitton and the big stores they sell in. That’s my dream to see my items in big stores worldwide. I want people to associate Funlayo Deri with luxury and modern elegance.
Newluk – Whats your advice to new designers?
FD – Interning is a very important thing to do. I interned with a young designer for a year which helped me to to see just how much work I needed to put in. If you want to launch a new label then get involved with the bigger companies. You have to remember to remain passionate at all times, you can have talent but you need passion along with it.
Newluk – What does fashion mean to you?
FD – Everyone wears clothes but with fashion you can have your own individual style. If I like something I’ll wear it regardless of whether its one of the hottest trends or not. Fashion is inspiring, you can put clothes on and they can reflect how you feel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

latest western bridal dresses Gowns Frocks and Net Maxi Dress | Designer Bridal Gowns | Bridal Frocks, Latest Fashion Trends of Gorgious Western Bridal Gowns Frocks and Long Maxi Dresses

Baby & Baba garments by Minnie Minors | Fall Winter Eid Collection by Minnie Minors