Latest Interviews By Zerrin Akinci | Zerrin Akinci Western wear Collection 2011-12

Most creative designers to have showcased at September’s London Fashion Week. Her style of clothes take unprecedented angles and cuts to sharply trimmed dresses providing a modernistic appeal to them. Born in Cyprus, Zerrin Akinci started her career in trade marketing before moving to the USA to fine tune her creative urges and eventually became a fashion designer. As you’ll see from her latest collection below, that move was certainly worth it.
newluk: You worked in trade marketing for two years before leaving that job and earned a fashion design certificate in Las Vegas to pursue your childhood dream of becoming a fashion designer. What was the turning point that made you change your mind?
ZA: It was always on my mind. When I was bored and stressed I was found myself sketching and forgetting about all the hassles. One stressful day at work, I told myself that if I didn’t take a risk , while aged 26, then when I’m 40 I will still be thinking about that moment when I could’ve made a difference. I had to fulfill my real passion and work for my real aims. Now that I am designer, I don’t see this as a job because it is part of me.
Newluk :You’ve been educated and experienced a number of different cultures from Cyprus, UK and the US – which culture would you say has influenced your work the most?
ZA: I describe myself as an international designer where I combine my western fashion education with eastern cultural and ethnic values.  I define my style as integration of the modernity of the West and the ethnicity of the East, which I call ETHNIC MODERNITY. In my designs you will find pieces from each culture – some with embroideries, others I express with just fabric and a few are created with feelings.
Newluk : You showcased your first solo collection ZA by Zerrin Akinci at London Fashion Week last month after being launched earlier this year by the GHS Company. How have the two seasons differed?
ZA: In ‘Sparkle your own way’ and ‘Find your dharma’ collections you can see the integration of the West and the East more in the designs.  Each piece had been embroidered with cultural accessories such as evil eyes and silk cocoons. In some garments the evil eyes are embroidered with Swarovski crystals while in others there were mirrored tiles emphasising the need for one to look inside of her and find her own dharma. Most of the garments in the collection were handmade and targeted a niche market.  However  ‘An envelope… All I am waiting for’ collection has been designed with the aim of entering UK market.
ZA: S/S 2012 collection is inspired by standard envelopes and what this white piece of paper means to each of us. There have been times when we’re abroad and are waiting for some news from a family member, friend or lover. There have been times when we waited patiently for an acceptance letter from a university or a school. The collection was inspired from those heartfelt emotions that originate from something so small. The garment named ‘Life is your letter’ will be sold with a tube of fabric colour and a brush giving the chance to its buyer to write her own letter or create her unique piece of art. Genevieve Nnaji, a famouse Nigerian actress, attended my show and was one of my first customer in London.
ZA: Definitely yes. I reflect my own inner world to my designs. What I experience, what I learn, what I feel or even where I live has a huge role in my designs.
Newluk : What type of women wear your clothes?
ZA: Modern, elegant women who are aware of their outer and inner beauty. ZA by Zerrin Akinci woman comprehends the importance of image in todays world but she believes in personal style rather than seasonal trends.
ZA: I mainly source them from Turkey.
Newluk : What does fashion mean to you?
ZA: Everything from passion, colour, texture, style, trends and the business. It is all in one cup for me.
Newluk : Where do you see yourself progressing in the next five years?
ZA: My goal is to become a known brand in the UK and then penetrate into other markets in five years. But we never know what opportunities holds for us tomorrow and that is an exciting prospect to look forward to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog